Saturday, February 27, 2010

Comic: Black Fury

4 comments:

Dex said...

I have to say when I saw the title in my RSS feed, this was not what I was expecting the cover to look like ROFL

Zen Tiger said...

I too was thinking of something else - like a 70s blaxploitation type of thing ;)

Mark said...

I knew about the comic and always thought the title was "borrowed" from a popular book about a horse. But now all I can find mentioned online are the Black Horse series and Black Stallion series. So I dunno.

Oh, I just found this

(excerpt)
The fifth Black Fury debuted in Charlton Comics' Black Fury #1 (May 1955). This character was a horse that roamed the West righting wrongs, bearing some resemblance to the 1955-1960 NBC Saturday-morning TV series Fury (for which Dell Publishing released a tie-in comic-book series). The Charlton comic featured artwork by Dick Giordano and Rocco "Rocke" Mastroserio and lasted 58 issues.
(end excerpt)

From a list of comic characters named Black Fury here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Fury

"A horse that roamed the West righting wrongs" wow.

So Charlton swiped, I mean was inspired by a TV show and Dell comic series. sounds about right.
I know I've seen those Dell comics before, I knew people that collected horse comics.

Totally unrelated, there was a Black Fury movie about a coal miner strike in 1935

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Fury_%281935_film%29

Mark said...

Forgot to mention Ditko drew three issues of this comic, 16-18. I have those scans but only 16 is a cbr, the other two are files with jpegs. I can zip those other two, but how do I make a cbr or I guess it would be a cbz file out of them?

I can just send them all to you, Zen, if you want them as is. I know most people, including me, prefer the cbr/cbz format.

Old piles of good sh... stuff

These are spotlighted items - not always 'old' because of when they were made but rather these are things that were posted awhile ago on this blog and have been 'archived' in the back.














I hope you enjoy the site!

I hope you enjoy the site!
All Non Public Domain files are to be used as previews. If you like something please go and buy it. If I have posted something that is copywrited and you want it removed just leave a email or comment. If a link is unwanted to your site just comment and it will be removed. I want to give a special thanks to all original scanners.~ Zen Tiger