From Dell comics comes Brain Boy!
full series (includes the first appearance in four color comic which starred Brain Boy)- zipped
Download
thanks to Red Spy for these!
enjoy
Download
thanks to Red Spy for these!
enjoy
Due to several circumstances I will not be updating this blog in the forseeable future. Gone forever? not sure....
2 comments:
Zen:
I wonder if I'm the only one who's paid enough attention to this obscure Dell publication to note the amazing change in the physical appearance of the citizens of "Xochtan," the fictitious South American country that is the setting for issues #1, #2, and #5.
In issues #1 and #2, Xochtan citizens (including the arch-villian Ricorta and Brain Boy's fellow telepath / love interest Maria) are all drawn with dark brown skin. The ending scene of the story in issue #2, showing the brown-skinned Maria kissing Brain Boy, was extremely unusual for the time.
When the Xochtan characters reappear in issue #5, they've all turned white (or more accurately, the same skin color as Brain Boy).
I wonder of this was a deliberate decision on somebody's part, or simply an error of continuity. Any thoughts on this?
I think the skin color change was just a continuity error. In the Four Color first issue on story page 11 you can see Brain Boy colored the same as the South Americans in one panel, before he disguised himself. I found an interesting interview with the main series artist Frank Springer at
http://www.oddballcomics.com/article.php?story=2008-05-05
Brain Boy's first appearance was in Dell Four Color #1330 in 1962 written by Herb Kastle and drawn by Gil Kane. Kastle wrote and Frank Springer drew #2-#5. Cover paintings were by Vic Prezio who also painted covers for FAMOUS MONSTERS OF FILMLAND, CREEPY, and EERIE magazines and many paperback books.
Post a Comment