Hey folks. Every wonder why I choose to call this place ' the Crosseyed Cyclops'? Well even if you didn't i'm going to tell you now. I was always a huge Harryhausen fan even before I knew who he was. I loved the old Sinbad movies . (Ill tell the tale of the beginnings of my movie addiction in another post at another time.) Well one of my fav characters from the Sinbad flicks was the Cyclops. It was also one of the first monsters i drew as a kid - well one of the earliest that I still have the picture of anyway. I didn't ever think of adding the crosseyed term until around 1999 when i got my first computer that was worthwhile on the internet. I had started to frequent a few communities on religous discussions and thought up several off the wall nicnames to use and one of them was Crosseyed Cyclops. (For those who know my other site I also used 'the voodoo hamster' as a screen name also) The name conjured a great picture in my head 'Crosseyed Cyclops' got me thinking of a old mythical beast who had sat too close to the TV as a kid and probably had a comic collection to rival my own. (For some reason i also always had the idea of a pair of glasses for the cyclops - by the way is it still a pair of glasses if it only has one lens? I was over joyed to find a picture of such glasses a few months ago on google and have used it as the picture on 'tools and info' ever since.) Well the name didn't really last long as a screen name because I was checking out and joining many sites and using various aliases. Mainly because I was searching for a site/community/group/chatroom that would not only allow me to discuss religion(s) but also debate it. Funny most of those sites loved to hear from you when you agreed with them but didn't really want folks disagreeing with them - even if you had scientific proof from credible sources. ( It become so disheartening I ended up creating my own multifaith site in 2000 which allowed all faiths to debate and argue over various topics - AGF or A God(S) Fight which is still housed on MSN groups - well at least for another month or so until MSN closes all the groups down. Thankfully I have many folks who now pretty much run that endeavor for me and they have already created a new site for AGF) I really hadn't given much thought of the screen nicname 'Crosseyed Cyclops' for awhile until I decided to create these google blogs and needed a name for them - first thing to come to mind was those goofy nics i had used in the past. (For some reason I never wanted to call anything 'Zen Tiger's place" or something similar with my 'true' nicname. maybe i should have... still cant decide! lol)
And on a final note: Yes the URL address of this blog is spelled wrong and not really on purpose. When i went to register this blog someone else had actually already used the name! (I wonder if its someone who knew me from years ago at one of those religous sites lol) So i chose to just delete one letter and call it good. (Truth be told this blog originally started out as a side project just to house a few things - i was going to move the whole place to another site.. it just became to big to ever think of moving every thing. So were stuck with the bad spelling.)
OK it was not the greatest tale to tell but at least you have a bit more insight into the blog and my head ;)
Well that's the story and I'm sticking to it! :)
And on a final note: Yes the URL address of this blog is spelled wrong and not really on purpose. When i went to register this blog someone else had actually already used the name! (I wonder if its someone who knew me from years ago at one of those religous sites lol) So i chose to just delete one letter and call it good. (Truth be told this blog originally started out as a side project just to house a few things - i was going to move the whole place to another site.. it just became to big to ever think of moving every thing. So were stuck with the bad spelling.)
OK it was not the greatest tale to tell but at least you have a bit more insight into the blog and my head ;)
Well that's the story and I'm sticking to it! :)





7 comments:
I've been wondering but was afraid to ask!
:)
I can live with a spelling error in the URL for such a great site! :) Just wanted to say thanks for all you do, Zen Tiger. This is the best media blog on the Internet by far.
Tells you where my head is at when i didn't even notice the misspelled URL. :) Found it when i was looking for elfquest postings. Great blog.
Thanks for the information. I am always curious why people choose their handles.
Hi awesome blog, I don't see a contact email though, could you please provide me with one? I would like to emails you some pictures that may fit your blog.
many thanks in advance
Hi Sphynx 0. feel free to drop a line - I am currently a few days/week back logged but i will get to your email asap! johnzentiger@gmail.com
Your stuff is freaking amazing. Been looking for Zabriskie Point for a long, long time, and your comics selection is excellent. You should be a national institution.
Post a Comment