update
im still having horrid computer problems, hope to be back soon.
If your sharing a link please post in the 'share' section and not on the minimessage board.
Computer problem- Thanks to folks who recommended programs. Ive downloaded several but it seems that once installed i cannot get any new program to actual start up and run.. hope to figure out this prob soon.
original post below
As some know ive run into some bad computer problems at times. And im currently in battle with a nasty virus of some type. Ive switched security programs a few times and used several spyware/malware programs in the past but im looking for newer up to date stuff thats tried and true .
any suggestions?
I need help big time to figure this out.
thanks!
im still having horrid computer problems, hope to be back soon.
If your sharing a link please post in the 'share' section and not on the minimessage board.
Computer problem- Thanks to folks who recommended programs. Ive downloaded several but it seems that once installed i cannot get any new program to actual start up and run.. hope to figure out this prob soon.
original post below
As some know ive run into some bad computer problems at times. And im currently in battle with a nasty virus of some type. Ive switched security programs a few times and used several spyware/malware programs in the past but im looking for newer up to date stuff thats tried and true .
any suggestions?
I need help big time to figure this out.
thanks!





31 comments:
i've been using Avast antivirus for a few years, and never had any nasties get through. It's freeware too!
Hope you sort out your problems, some viruses can be manually deleted by booting up in safe mode.
Microsoft Security Essentials.
Hi Zen,
I strongly recommend Nod32 Anti-virus. I have been using it at home and at work for well over a year. It manages to catch things that no other program does. It's not free but the license is inexpensive and worth every penny.
I also strongly suggest that if you are using Windows, you create an account without administrative privileges and use that for you day to day work.
If all else fails,there's a freeware program called Hijack This!,but you REALLY gotta know what you're doing to use that properly & effectively in order to remove a virus.
I recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. It's free & reliable.
http://www.malwarebytes.org/
Also, Spybot S&D, http://www.safer-networking.org/en/home/index.html.
I agree with the Malwarebytes recommendation. After running it normally, try it again in safe mode. Keep re-running it until results come back clean in both normal and safe modes.
I know a great one that'll solve all your problems. It's called OS X. Woohoo!
I see Richard's beaten me to it, but I'll second the Malwarebytes recommendation, it does a really good job.
I've been using the freeware version of AVG antivirus + the NoScript (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NoScript) add-on for my internet browser. That works for me.
Hijack This! is powerful stuff when you are already infected. For me that was about 4 years ago and after I got it cleaned up I went with NoScript.
I have been using Zonealarm Security Suite and ZoneAlarm Forcefield and have not had any virus problems. (I do keep security settings tight.) Also, keep your os and browsers up to date.
As previous posters have sugested AVG have a free Anti-Virus suite which can be downloaded at http://download.cnet.com
you can also pickup Malwarebytes Anti-Malware there too. There are also online scanners you could try at http://www.bitdefender.com/scanner/online/free.html & http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/home.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym&plfid=23&pkj=LGIFHYTINMHDKDCWLLS
all the best!
Looks like overkill, but -
Spybot Search and Destroy
Super Anti-Spyware
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
and Microsoft Security Essentials (leave any Microsoft prejudices aside - this is a fine program that picks up nasties many others can't sort out)
and Hi-Jack this just in case (the forums are very helpful)
For me, nothing has got past these in the past year or so, and I deal with some nasty stuff as part of my work.
Oh yes, keep yourself offline and in safe mode while you're sorting it out.
Good luck!
Install and update MalwareBytes, then reboot and pound the F8 key until you get into safe mode. Run a scan with MalwareBytes, then reboot and get MS Security Essentials. CLEAN UP YOUR FLASH DRIVES with Security Essentials because you may be re-catching the virus from them.
Zen,
I've been using Spyware Doctor by PCTools - it's a yearly subscription service. They also have other products for registry problems as well. Here's their site: http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/?ref=google_brand_pctools&gclid=CKyEtLz37qUCFYHb4AodnXK9ng
Dolores
Kaspersky, TrendMicro, Panda. All three offer free complete online scans with no tolerance for malware/virus infestations.
thanks everyone - trying some of these out tonight!
I tried a recommended programme and did a scan and realised I had a trojan just afterwards. Iobit 360 found it, as in my experience probably would malwarebytes, spybot, microsoft security, avira etc. - all free. I've never seen anyone suggest this, but a good last-ditch way to get rid of stubborn/self replicating malware is a system restore! This is how I finally dealt with a tiny download that was packed with various nasties.
I've been programming computers since the early 80's when there were no desktop computers. I have much experience in this area (don't ask). I can tell you that no ONE program will stop ALL viruses and usually when the damage is done, NO program will repair the damage.
It is best to use a backup program that will restore from a boot CD. That way, you reformat the HD, restore the backup...tada!
Works for me and faster than trying to fix a nightmare. I like NovaBackup, but there are many others out there.
There is also a neat little program called "Sandbox" that helps to keep suspicious program installs from infecting your computer. Check it out.
Good luck Zen!
:-)
Use a linux distro and forget about spyware/malware. (ok.. if you can't do that then use Microsoft Security Essentials and a lot of Common Sense 2.0)
We use avast home,a great free prog.If you are having trouble removing the virus,it might be one that blocks you from running any anti-virus or going online to a security site to get help.In which case,google macafee stinger download the app and follow instructions to turn off system restore.It's a stand alone virus/trojan remover that no virus can prevent from running you can even scan all public computers with it.Highly recommended!
brian
ESET smart security 4 is an all-in-one solution that scores high on all tests & uses few resources (great for older/slower PCs). As with most of these apps, you can try it free for 30 days. Before this, I was using Avira free AV + Comodo free firewall.
You can also add Clamwin to ANY solution, which is a free AV that works as an additional real-time AV scanner. As you know, this is usually a no-no.
Microsoft Security Essentials, Spybot S&D, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Zone Alarm Free firewall, an NAT router (sort of a hardware firewall)--hope I worded the last one right, it's something I've not gotten around to. Sophos, Trend Micro and Panda should all be decent online scans (Microsoft may have one also) but I don't remember the relative merits of them or which are fully functional free and which won't clean what they detect unless you buy the paid version. Hijack This! is something to use with good guidance which is available at a few sites, think Majorgeeks is one of them.
Hope things straighten out OK.
Best Holiday Wishes,
Hi - if you've tried the best anti-malware (and a system restore to an earlier date) you may need a reliable professional fixer or you will have to save all your documents and programmes to discs or another hard drive and re-install your operating system. Good Luck!
P.s. to save data to dvd you need to turn it (about 4.3gb max)into an iso with something like Imgburn (but you probably know this!)
While it does take awhile, I'd recommend that you go to Bleepingcomputer.com and get in the cue with the experts there to diagnose and work through your virus problem. These guys are great, and it's free. They're all people that are studying to do this for companies, etc. and are gaining experience. I haven't used them in a year (been virus free for that time), but I'd use them again in a heartbeat!
Once they get to your problem, they stick with you until it's solved. My last one took about 2 weeks to clear up, but it was time well spent.
Here's a last-ditch solution that's a real pain, but should work if all else fails:
Back up ONLY your data and archive files (no EXE files or others that could hide a virus) to a clean external storage device, then do a FULL reformat on your internal drive(s). Then reinstall EVERYTHING from scratch.
(I've used ZoneAlarm and Norton Anti-Virus programs for years with no virus infections at all. But if programs like these aren't working to fix your system, refomatting and reinstalling may ultimately be necessary. Good luck!)
people are talking about reformatting stuff & doing a system restore... i did it, its free & actually feels really empowering!!!
also, i don't believe all this spyware/malware stuff --- it seems very suspicious that always after an "urgent official microsoft windows security update" is when the problems start... just on the "legitimate business" side, first -- and not even dealing with so-called viruses, please consider this: Bill Gates has a protection racket running --- companies that don't pay him licensing fees have their programs set to make windows to crash (or worse)... it was a brilliant move & an easy sell b/c otherwise publishers realized that once you bought a program -- NO MORE MONEY!!! so they have Bill Gates to help them out & now your old version crashes windows so you have to pay a new $50 or $100 or whatever to get the 100%-identical (except maybe a new color scheme) **updated version** of your old program....
from this basic con game used by companies you thought you knew & trusted ((with Gates' complicity, aid & abetting)) it is easy to see how the whole "virus" thing got legs & ran...
do we really believe that horny college kids are writing viruses in their spare time, rather than drinking and/or masturbating? please....
when oh when is google gonna hurry up & release their free operating system?!?!?!?!
Has anyone said the word "rootkit" to you? These miracles of menace burrow deep into the operating system and even if you anti-virus yourself blue in the face they can run and reinstall themselves before windows boot up. When ever I've had nagging operation failures and endless virus alerts it turned out to be a rootkit. The totally reliable cure is to do a "Clean Install" wiping everything on your harddrive and the rootkit with it but this is kind of like blowing your brains out to cure a headache. I have had some success with Unhackme/RegRun Security Suite. These programs look at each process as your computer starts up and asks you if you recognize the ones it flags as spooky. Read the directions and look for process names like "PGGRFJHJ" - bogus virus generated names which are changed on every boot. KILL THEM BAD. Known processes will be passed or fairly easy to recognize but when in doubt, let unidentified processes stay and RegRun will restart the computer and check again. Take your time don't get trigger-happy and you may eventually be able to get a restart with no problems detected. Or you'll reformat and spend a few days reinstalling your software universe. I've been through this nightmare so much that I made a set of DVD's with all my basic program installers on them so I just pop one in and ka-chunk ka-chunk start rebuilding a clean new landscape. Oh and BTW, INSTALL ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE IMMEDIATELY UPON RESURRECTING YOUR PC - First thing! I have found two viruses appearing within 5 minutes after the first connection after launching Windows. Hope this was helpful and get well soon. I love your blog - I feel your pain - I hope for the best.
I would recommend checking what starts up when you boot up your computer = go to start/run/type in msconfig & a system configuration utility will appear & choose the startup tab. If in the list there's suspicious entries checked uncheck them & boot up & see if that solves your problems. I found many viruses & the like live & infest there. If on rebooting suspicious items are back checked, uncheck them in safe mode. One word of caution make sure you don't uncheck necessary system processes by first doing a Google search.
Also, sometimes viruses will infest System Restore so best clear it by turning it off & later turning it back on.
I would also recommend a firewall & NoScript as previously mentioned.
Good luck!
Try this. The diagnosis is free and they claim the ability to clean your computer of viruses, malware, etc. and speed things up. I just ran it and had 739 errors on my pc. The cost if you decide to purchase is $39.95. I hope this helps. http://doublemyspeed.com/
I just noticed the update on your pc problem. You mention that you can't get the programs to run. I had a similar problem a while back. My virus changed the association for all EXE files on my computer so they wouldn't run.
You can find more info and a solution here: http://www.computing.net/answers/security/cannot-open-exe-files-on-vista/21789.html
Post a Comment